Saturday, 2 January 2010

the year in review....

It's been a busy week (well, weeks!) friends. We spent the week leading up to Christmas with two sick kids (just colds but they were definitely *not* themselves) so we spent a lot of time listening to the Narnia series on CD, reading and watching DVDs. (Current fave??  Shaun the Sheep) When we all felt up to it, we did a bit of crafting~ luminaries (Sadie, you were so right....freezing them helps immensely!!), some cards, baking. We had a special hot chocolate afternoon with different toppings and using homemade marshmallows  and some minty hot chocolate mix I made.

We had a nice Christmas (not super relaxing but it was fine) and a great Boxing Day brunch with the neighbours. The kids were feeling mostly better by then although 5 late nights in a ROW set them back somewhat. Here they are on Christmas morning...




The boys had *only* been up for 2 hours by this point but Fiona slept in so we had to wait to open stockings. They were squirrely by the time we got to it! (and ask me what 2 hours of waiting feels like!!) 

This past week has been nice. Steve came home on Christmas Eve and told me he'd decided to take this past week off. It has been really nice....did a few days of sorting out, a few outings (boys went ice skating...had a super time!) and just generally hanging out together at home.  Hard to believe that we are back to normal routine on Monday (but I'm ready for it).

As a child, I didn't like this time of year. I love Christmas and taking it down always made me feel sad. However, as an adult, I love this time of year! I'm usually ready for a fresh start and clearing away the Christmas decs makes me think about other things I'd like to "clear away" too. This past year has been the year of "yikes" in my mind. I don't think I've had so much happen to me in one year before and I come to the end of it feeling worn out and completely disorganized. 

I happened across an excellent tool (thank you Ann ) at SimpleMom.net. 29 questions to ponder (look for the pdf to print out if you like) and have been slowly working my way through them. This year has to be the year of deliberate changes, I think.  I'll let you know how things go!

For now, I have children awake and brekkie to make so I'm going to leave it there.

 A very happy new year to you all!

 

3 comments:

sadie said...

I'm loving this background. fresh, clean, and perfect for this time of year!

I'm totally with you, I love clearing Christmas away just as much as I love putting everything out. I have to leave it all up until the 3rd, because of course it's Bill's birthday today, and he likes the decs to stay up. That's why I work on thinning them out so soon.
Tomorrow I will be taking down the rest of Christmas, and next week ... a bit of a spring clean! I'm looking forward to it. Also have no less than three projects to work on, though now sewing on the machine for me, as I managed to mess it up a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if it's something I can fix, or if it will need to be left with the haberdashery shop in town! yikes!!!!

I'm glad the troops are on the mend. Such a shame they've been poorly, but of course one gets it and then the others. :o( 5 late nights in a row, that's too tiring for tinies. Good to get back to normal :o) I know exactly how that feels, Humbug had a lot of long days and missed Rest & Relaxation time, and she needs it. She really does. Finally starting to get things back on track. Love the photo of them on CD.

Glad your BD brunch went well!

Time I was off. Really cold here again. We had snow on New Year's Eve and it's still here. Though more icy than snowy.

xxx

sadie said...

'now sewing'??!! 'No' sewing - typing too quickly and not paying attention! xx

Sonia / COZY MEMORIES said...

Happy New Year, dear Tanya :)
Thank you so much for the ecard too, I'm sorry I can't remember if I had thanked you for it or not. (yep, my brain was on holiday too ahah)
I imagine the boys getting eager for their sister to wake up & discover the stockings' content ! :) Sorry they had a cold though, I hear you, they're not totally themselves even with a little cold. And we sure don't like to know they're not feeling great. Uh, and tell me about rhythm ! It's been tough trying to make them go to bed earlier tonight ! We've all been out of the loop all vacations !
Good luck to you, my friend. I hope they're all feeling better & back to themselves by now. Thinking about you ! Take care ! oxoxox