Thursday, 10 December 2009

island daybook...wednesday

New daybook style...I'll give it a whirl on this weepy and grumpy Thursday. No,I'm not grumpy but Greg and Fiona sure are!

on the menu...

Breakfast: always a bit of a smorgasboard here as we have several different rising times. Toast with butter and jam for Crispin and Greg, cheerios for Fiona, and I scoffed a slice of bread with just jam as we were heading to the stroller. Coffee for me (lots) and hot chocolate for C

Lunch: homemade alphaghetti for Greg and I (take cooked w/w alphabet pasta, some pasta sauce and grated cheese and mix all together....yum) with sliced apple. Fiona had a rice cake with sliced apple on the side and soy milk to drink

Snack:  Voortman's cookies with organic grapes and hot chocolate. (C's on a bit of a hot chocolate kick right now)

Dinner: italian chicken, rice, baked sweet potatoes and braising greens. This went over quite well except for the braising greens which I love but everyone else just pushed around on their plates! Italian chicken is just baked with pasta sauce poured over it....does turn out yummy though. Fiona had rice and sweet potato and leftover broccoli. She ate the rice and the broccoli but apparently the sweet potato is going the way of the yam. (sigh...this child doesn't like so many vegetables!)

Outside my window: cold out there right now. We had a high of -1C and a tiny skiff of snow that didn't last. We walked up to school in the morning and our hands were freezing...even the winter gloves we all had made very little difference.

The little ones and I spent part of the day running around trying to find boots for a hamper we're doing to no avail. The ones I like (rain boot style with liners and rated to -20) are all sold out and so I ended up going out in the evening to finish up. There was a fair amount of coughing going on in Greg's general direction and by evening it was apparant that he was quite unwell. Cue the hot apple juice and humidifier to help with the throat congestion and an at home day today. 

It's pick up time already! I'll try and get back to this tomorrow....maybe I can post semi-regularly this way.   

3 comments:

sadie said...

Blogger is being nasty to me today. I had yours and mine both on screen and suddenly both were snatched away!

Anyway. Hope this style of posting means you can write more often. I've given up *trying* to make myself write. Now it's 'whenever or nothing' and I don't worry about it in the slightest. I have some things to show on CR, but that can wait. Maybe I'll have time today, maybe I won't!

YOu are a busy mama. Poor you with F and her feeding patterns. Have you tried making her a sneaky spag bol or pizza with hidden veg? Just grate carrots into the sauces, or chop up other veg until so teeny tiny that she wouldn't know what there were if they came up and said 'hello', and see if that can be a starting point. Even now I make Magoo mash using potatoes and parsnips, then cook and add in chopped carrots and cooked peas. I do it for no other reason than I know she'll happy snaffle it, and I know she's had 4 types of veg in one go. She even eats brussells sprouts happily - I know ~ I am VERY lucky!
I am so sorry that you have this trouble, it must be such a worry. I bet you've already tried this ploys, but if not, at least it's a hopefully helpful suggestion.

Time I was off. Little one is having her R&R time after a busy weekend (forgot Naught-Nee at Granny's, so even though we were 20 mins from home, had to turn round and get him. Thus making a very long Saturday afternoon even longer), and I have tons to do.
xxxx

Elizabeth said...

Hello Tanya, what a great entry, I can imagine how busy you are with three children. Sorry your snow didn't stick, I miss the snow but not the very cold weather. Merry Christmas to you & your family, hugs

sadie said...

I'm glad the grating veg idea is of use to you! I think it works extra well in pizza - you could get vegan cheese for Fiona because of the dairy thing. Grated carrot is great, it mixes well with tomato puree ;o) Ah, the sneaky ways of the busy mama!

Right. You've asked me two q's recently and I've answered neither.

The tin can candle holders. Amazingly easy. I thought - like you - that I'd end up walloping my hands or driving the nail through my finger instead of the tin, but no, it was surprisingly easy. I think it's all down to the frozen lump inside that helps. It stops you from hammering too hard, thus preventing buckling, but also means there is a bit of weight to help it in place. Having a folded up tea towel to help hold it steady even more was a good idea too. Give it a try (if you can find the time), it really is very easy to do. I've got another two tins in the freezer, all ready for hammering when I get a chance.

Clove studded oranges.
Well. Ideally, you should do these about 6 weeks ahead of when you want them (yeah, who has time to think THAT far ahead). The idea is you stud with cloves, then place in a paper bag that has had orris root placed inside. Then you leave it to dry out, in a cupboard or airing cupboard.

I suspect you could do this over several hours (7 or 8) in a barely warm oven. Stud as required, then place on the shelf of the oven on a very low heat, turning every so often. Never tried it that way, but it should word.

The reason I said mine will go mouldy, is because it will! I've not dried it out, just studded with cloves and left it. It is drying out as it's shrinking, but it will be shrinking with mould! I only wanted it as an instant scent and sight of Christmas. It's fine for what I want it for. Biggest word of advice though, don't try to just shove the cloves through the skin of the orange. The stalks do pierce the orange, but the tops of the cloves will end up hurting. So pierce with a cocktail stick first! Give it a go. The smell is just beautiful and it would last until Christmas easily.

:o)

snow still here. Apparently more on the way! Whoo hooo!!! Sending some your way, should make it there in time for Friday! ;o) xxxx