Tuesday, 17 November 2009

staying.home

Well hello!

I know...you thought I had moved to the far north with no internet connection! Or perhaps gone on a "screen" fast?? Or given over my entire day to raising chickens?? Well, no (and no and no!). I have, however, been incredibly overwhelmed with life. Not overwhelmed in a bad, crying all day long kind of day but just caught up in the real life on this side of the computer screen. I do hope to start journaling using a daybook style (thank you Kara and Sadie for your encouragement in this!) so that I don't find it so hard to sit down and type something reasonably understandable in the short space of time that's alloted me! 

We've taken to staying home...a lot. Our autumn started off with 2 colds back to back and then progressed to one injured leg and ribcage (Crispin...don't ask how!) which meant bed rest for a week and once he was back to school for a bit, a mild gastro bug which again laid him up for close to 4 days.Thankfully, we haven't had anything more serious. 

One of the reasons I've been staying home a lot more is that our area is a hotbed for the H1N1 virus. I think the last statistic I heard was 25% of the population is sick with it. We are considered to be (right now) the H1N1 capital of Canada. Once it started hitting hard, I decided that I would not take my kids into the grocery store or really, shopping anywhere. I have had to go with them a few times but we wash well or hand sanitize right away afterwards. Fiona and I go sometimes with her in the stroller but it means her hands aren't everywhere touching everything!! I'm not trying to paranoid but if I can minimize the amount of time the kids are out and about in crowds, the better.

Been busy doing a few things....baking bread again with the Bosch mixer which has been wildly popular with my family. Making Playdoh in the oven. And , oh yeah, This! 





Yes, that's a home tie dyed shirt for Fiona. I was given a fab second hand shirt with lots of chocolate stains on the front of it....the giver collects stuff for missionary work but because of the stains, this wasn't suitable. She offered it to me and I thought I'd try getting the stains out. Nothing worked. I hated to throw away a perfectly good shirt so I was thrilled when I found a post on dyeing with tissue paper at Alicia's blog....Magical Childhood.

it was fast and easy....everyone helped, even Fiona! After a wash the colour has softened a lot and best of all, you can't see the stains!! 

I'm going to make cookie dough for after school snack. I hope to be back later in the week with the new format. take care!   


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, what is this "daybook" style? Now you've got me curious. Cute shirt, btw!

sadie said...

the new style will help you, and you you'll find it will encourage you to give more detail. It just gets your mind working and makes it easier to talk about stuff. That's what I always find anyway.

Love the tie dye idea! Ideal for covering over food stains!

As for the swine flu. I know exactly what you mean about staying home. It's what Magoo and I do alot, and a huge part of the reason is the flu spreading. It isn't 'too bad' here which I put down to GB in general taking it seriously from the start. I have to say that since the outbreak I've read so much twaddle outside the UK going on about how it wasn't serious, how we in the UK were being 'over the top' with our worry and caution. It made me so annoyed, because it's complacency like that that has helped it to spread. If people don't think it's serious, then they don't implement precautions to try and stop it spreading. On Saturday I love it that we go shopping so early, and that Bill takes humbug to the cafe before it gets busy. I am quick around the shop, and avoid anyone coughing and spluttering. The amount of 'looks' I give to morons who think it's fine to stand and splutter germs all over the fruit and veg. I'm just doing basic stuff while out. Taking wet wipes with me and wiping my hands down after using the cash point (get strange looks from other people,but I don't care), ditto if a sales assistant gives me my change after paying and SNEEZES OVER IT AS SHE HANDS IT OVER!!! Give me strength! Not letting humbug touch too much so she can't pick up germs,and of course, steering clear of germ pits that pass as kids playing rooms, with the plastic balls and stuff.

Must be such a massive extra worry for you, having two children at school/nursery and a tiny tot. Staying home sounds like the right thing to me.

Hope you can stop feeling so overwhelmed. It gets like that sometimes. Even with just one to look after. There are times when I want to cry and say 'what about me', but then I get a grip and get on with things and I'm soon back to normal. Hope this is the case with you too .

Time I was off. Had to supervise porridge making downstairs, why do men need such detailed help and instruction???!?!!!!

xxxxxx

sadie said...

:o) hellooo!
Thanks for visiting today. Well, what a morning. Basically she wanted to 'go' and couldn't. That was the problem, and even though I tried to explain it she was having none of it.
This afternoon I told her that she wasn't to worry about potty work at all, and to just have fun with paint, glue and glitter. She did so, and then just after 4 said 'mum I need potty'. I admit thinking oh no, please just use your nappy, but nevertheless, got her pot. I left her to it and went and cleared up the glitter bomb that was our dining room. By the time I had finished, I went to check on her and there in her pot was a massive pile of toilet paper(!) concealing a big wee and ... poo! Hurrah! Since coming upstairs for bath time, she's asked for potty again and done another poo. I knew she was having trouble with her poo moving, so that's why she had her meltdown this morning, but it's so frustrating when you can't actually do anything to help her or get her to listen and understand what you're saying when she's screaming and crying out of sheer frustration. I know I can write this happily here, as you understand only too well!

Apparently someone else has just died in this region from swine flu. No details at all given, so I don't know how old there were or if they had underlying health issues. I still feel that good basic common sense could gave helped prevent it spreading quite as much or quickly. Oh well, another thing to live in fear of. :O(

I'm being bellowed for,so I must away. HOpe your trip to the library was good, and germ free. Have a lovely weekend xxxxx

Jennifer said...

Hi Tanya, it was actually me who made that "anonymous" comment - I just clicked the wrong thing (too little sleep!).

sadie said...

:) just me.Thanks for your emails, have a good start to the week xxxx