Wednesday, 22 April 2009

afternoon cuppa

Well, for the second day in a row, I've managed to get both "babies" to sleep at the same time. I'm not being optimistic but it is so nice to have a bit of a break and quiet time. Gregory probably won't need to nap for very much longer (in fact, most days he has a quiet time in his bedroom with the help of our kitchen timer rather than a sleep) so I'm capitalizing on it while it does last even if it is only from time to time. All this being said, my sister napped every afternoon well into kindy so there is hope that he might follow her lead.


After a long conversation with my MUm, I decided to start gently shaping Fiona's routines. Right now, she's all over the place with wake up times/sleep times and eating times. I often will wait until she's happy to go out or try and wait until I think she'll be happy. More often than not, I end up not going out because I"m too scared of her screaming the entire time. This isn't working for me....I'm not even getting in a weekly shop most weeks and when I do, it is quite often a haphazard one. So, starting yesterday, we are going out as soon as we come home from dropping Crispin at school. She falls asleep around 9:30 and then sleeps until close on 11:15. After being up for a play and lunchtime, she falls back to sleep while I'm getting Gregory ready for nap/quiet time. Usually, she gets about 1hr 45 min then. (I have to wake her for school pick up). Both last night and the night before, she was ready for bed by 6:30 when G was being read to. It's been amazing to watch the change in her after just a few days of being very deliberate about my own routine. After the morning nap is established, I won't have to go out every day but right now, this is encouraging her to sleep for a few hours in the morning and then have time for an afternoon nap too. I'm not a huge fan of having to have everything on a completely set schedule (time wise) so this is very gentle but I like having a general routine to the day. Fiona is an unscheduled baby....G had his own very predictable routine by 6 months but she's never developed her own and I felt it was important to start introducing one now.


Any one out there had difficulty introducing solids?? Fiona has been introduced to both rice cereal and banana. She took several feedings of rice cereal before closing her mouth at the sight of a spoon and banana she just screams at. I'm not sure what it is I'm missing here but any ideas would be most welcome!


I'll leave you with a pic of my afternoon coffee and snack...they are dairy free and very yummy!


5 comments:

Dan & Hillary said...

Sorry Fiona is giving you a difficult time with the 'solids'. Russell was always one to love food. Could you mash some blueberries or something with more flavor?

sadie said...

I can imagine how fab it must be to have two babies sleeping or quiet at the same time!

I'm absolutely with you about the routine thing. I did not make a big deal about having A Routine, until I realised that Humbug had already done it by herself. Once I realised that she automatically did things at a certain time, then it became our routine. For me - and her - I think that was the best way of going about our days. I've read Gina Ford and I can't help but think the woman is an idiot. I know she's a *wonderful* expert in childcare, but I totally disagree. Her regimental way of saying 'baby WILL be sleepy now' is utter tosh. All babies are different and it's a shame that someone like her can write books that new parents will read, and probably feel like a failure because their child isn't fitting into her far too harsh schedule. I read her book and cried. Then I threw it out. Didn't need such rot making me feel useless. :O) I think you are doing brilliantly with working on your routine, and as she seems to be happy to follow, must mean she was doing something similar anyway!

As for the solids, I gave Humbug the baby rice stuff for about 3 days before switching to pureed carrots. I think baby rice is great to say 'look, this is what solid food is all about', but then just swap it. It's boring. Think of it this way, how would you feel eating that gunk day after day?! Not appealing? Now put yourself in Fiona's position. I know it's best to introduce some things (like strawberries etc) gradually, but for the most part you can just dive in and give it a try. At about 8 months old, Humbug was happily scoffing pureed butternut squash, with tomato, onion (yep, onion!), cauliflower and basil. It's an Annabel Karmel recipe, so take a look around her site and get some ideas. I can let you know how to make the butternut squash gloop, it's so easy. And, would make a rather nice dip for tortilla chips! It's also flavoursome and a great way of introducing a whole range of flavours. I was saying to Darylynn yesterday how lucky I feel with humbug. I don't need to disguise broccoli or sprouts, as she'll happily scoff them all! I put this down to starting her off with flavours like basil at such a young age. She'll always give new foods a try, and you really can't ask for more than that.

Puree mango with banana, it's very good together and not too lumpy to eat. Perhaps Fiona will be keener on 'nanas that way.

Thanks for your email. Wanted to reply earlier but time has slipped through my fingers. I'm typing this and listening to little one thud, thud, thud against something downstairs. HOpe it's not the front door, which has been wedged ajar to let the paint dry!!!!

xxxxxx

sadie said...

forgot Annabe's link!

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/age-range/babies-6-9-months/features/baby_first_foods

:o) hope this helps! xxx

sadie said...

:o) me again. Actually replied to your email! And I forgot to say yesterday, love that pretty cup in the photo.

have a lovely weekend xx

sadie said...

hope Winston continues to do well. Thanks for your email. If I knew where I'd put it(!!!!) I'd reply!!! I suspect I've filed it somewhere stupid. xxxx